Thursday 28 April 2005

Final Countdown..

It was a rainy morning..the rain was much welcomed after 2 weeks of unbearable hot weather & high humidity..the morning felt much cooler..

Just received my first farewell gift..a box of Royce chocs..rather appreciative of it as it was from someone whom i've known for barely 1 month..proof that kindness & generosity is abundant in this office..

2nd last day of work..

Hmm...what shall i talk about today..?

A couple of weeks ago, I read this article by this columnist who wrote about how her friends rallied around her in times of need...it struck a chord in me...i decided to write in to ST but unfortunately, the article was never published...wat the heck, i have my own ZXL Times now!

Colleagues In Need Are Friends Indeed

I refer to the article 'Friends in need are friends indeed' by Cheong Suk-Wai in Sunday Lifestyle on 3 April.

I have been on the receiving end of much kindness and generosity from many friends a couple of months ago. I was among those who happened to be on Phi Phi Island on the fateful morning of 26 Dec 04.

Having escaped death narrowly, I had miraculously suffered no serious injuries, except for a few cuts and bruises. All possessions on me, including money, mobile phone and passport were gone.

When news reached friends and colleagues back in Singapore, smses and calls of concerns came through my travelling companions' mobile phones(lesson learnt : never ever doubt their resourcefulness). The moment they heard I needed to get travel documents from the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok, the local address and contact numbers were sent via sms. When I informed them that I have secured the necessary documents and was allowed to fly back to Singapore, the list of available flights were once again ready at their fingertips.

When I finally touched down at Changi Airport on 29 Dec at 11.30pm, imagine how surprised and touched I was to see, besides my family, a 'battalion' of my colleagues, from my immediate boss to the HR Chief to all my dear colleagues, all 18 of them, waiting to welcome me back.

There were the 8 who accompanied me to the hospital all the way till 3+ in the morning, the 1 who called at 2+am despite having to catch a flight early next morning, the 2 who took time off from work to keep me company at home, the 1 who loaned me a mobilephone, the many who contributed for my new wallet, the HR folks who sent me flowers and even a notoriously private colleague invited me over to her place for a home-cooked meal.

These are the people whom I meet almost everyday in office, but they did not wait till I got back to work to show their concern.They came by my place for meals whenever they could, updated me on office gossips via email, ferried me around so that I will not miss out any birthday celebrations and even held the New Year's gathering at my place. Simple acts they maybe, but definitely a great deal to me during that period.

To Michael, Addy, Joanne, Bee Lian, Eer Ling, Adeline, Min Min, Sharon Ang, Sharon Soh, Chian Jia, Yit Ying, Su Min, Su Mei, Jean, Fidzah, Wee Wee, Ching Hui, Yvonne, Serene, Kay Min, Roy, Wei Yong, Hwee Meng, Giovene, Geraldine, Wa Cheng, Jan...

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU.

No comments: