Tuesday 15 November 2005

A review of my 2 months in TP

Things I liked about working in the park


The colleagues
Or at least most of them lah..met quite a diverse group of people..some of my closer frens are from Jamaica, Zimbawe & South Africa, to name a few..


The working hours
Minus the travelling time tat is..the park generally opens from 10am – 5pm..which means we report to work about 930am & finishes about 5-ish..tat’s really not too bad..if I didn’t have to spend 3 hrs getting there & back..


The free rides
Yes, u do get free rides on & off..esp on quiet days when there can be no guests for 20 mins..wat better way to wake u up when u’re getting sleepy..but it’s a pity I din get to try all the rides before I left..


The work atmosphere
Generally..afterall, it’s a theme park..there are some crazy days when we would pretend to have all gone home by switching off all the lights & hiding after we sent the last train off the platform..then the poor riders would be locked in their seats when they’re back(the operator has to unlock the seats manually thru the controls) or we would get the whole train to sing happy birthday(to anyone &/or no one in particular)



The brainless work
Haha..bimbo or not(if I qualify to be one)..it’s really quite a brainless job..& cos I dun really feel any responsibility for it, i can simply bochap & not turn up for for the day..like wat I did when I went for a 4 days trip to u-know-where..



Things I disliked about the park


The pay
£5 per hour is peanuts..with 20% going to taxes & another 5% to National Income..i’m left with..peanut shells..


The corked up system
Dunno how they sort out the staff stuff..there can be days when we’re terribly shorthanded..and there can be days when we have 10 pple on a ride(when u need only a min of 3 to operate)..& the ‘extras’ will be sent to clean the park..or even sent home..



Stupid/irritating guests
How do u answer when a guest ask u ‘Is this ride scary?’ or ‘Am I going to die on this ride?’


Also, the ride tat I work on..the seats are such tat ur legs are suspended in the air & when u go round checking their safety straps, chances tat u’ll get kicked by one of the guests are 3 out of 5 times..



The (very short)breaks
We have 2 breaks each day..the first is a 30 mins lunch break(which can be as early as 1030am) & the second is usually 3 hrs after the first one(about 2ish pm) is a 15mins tea break..we’re also given 5 mins ‘walking time’ to get to the canteen from our ride area..


Most of u would know I survive on a 2hr feed..which means I need to eat every break..most of u would also know tat I’m not a fast walker..in fact, it takes me 8 mins to walk to the canteen(1 way) from the furthest ride..effectively, tat leaves me wif 12 mins left of my break..so I always end up gobbling down my sandwich(wat else)..no good for my digestive system..


The reason why the ang mohs can survive on such short breaks is they have chips for lunch & choc bars for tea..u dun need much time for tat, do u?

No comments: