Wednesday 23 January 2008

The workaholic vs the workaholic

Below is an extract of an actual email exchange(unedited to retain the flavour) between 2 of my frens(i'm more of a onlooker)

Qi : i raise 2 hands and 2 feet to support you. don't be a slave to work, get off on time daily. If your work doesn't allow you to, then either improve your efficiency or reduce the workload. Life is so much more than work...

Sam : Easy to comment on that. They pay u salary for a reason. : ) U wanna get ahead, u also need to throw in effort. That's life. So something's gotta give, and it all depends on your priority.

Qi : haha...that's why zxl and i are...super slackers? =P yup, it all depends on your priority...but remember that at one's deathbed, no one ever regrets not spending one more day in the office...I think...

ZXL : wah...tat sounds very 'me'..ha..but if u're a super slacker...i dunno wat i am..haha

Qi : u are...err...champion slacker? *grin*...no choice lah, our choice of profession v different mah, but now that I in civil service, can be like that lor...hee...did I ever tell you guys that my very first appraisal in singapore I kenna told off by my boss for leaving office on time every day? =))

Sam : haha.. u 2 dun fight to be super slackers ok. : ) definitely on death bed won't think abt work.. : ) But ur boss is so strange?! old firm or this one? I only scold and warn people when they dun come in on time, but never when they leave on time, unless they are late and need to make up.

Qi : no fight, hats off to zxl, she more champion than me...hee...old firm. I told him that I don't see the need to stay late if I can complete my work within the alloted time. Anyway at that time I see a lot of colleagues staying late for the sake of staying late, just to impress boss kind. I think that's silly, refused to follow suit. Hee, prob boss buay tahan me...

Sam : U shld have told ur boss off : ) Tell him... err.. throw me more work? :P Once a partner asked an ex collaegue of yc why he is working late, he got a reply - 'doing work lah. I don't do u do is it?' have to give it to him :P But of cos having said that and being a slave driver myself, just circumstance, as much as I'd like to do less work, first the demand must be less than I can supply less. I'm resigned to fate this is the problem - demand more than supply.

Qi : hyuk, here's where I throw the problem back to management: demand > supply? increase supply, else accept a slower rate of completion. Can't have your cake and eat it too cos I'm not gonna do OT FOC man....not if I can help it anyway...

Sam : u so gungho... usually the throw back at mgmt, when that happens means when
we quit. : ) Have to be realistic. With proper planning, most things can do one. Just
pass me resources, think can manage. But with more resources, bottomline we receive also becomes thinner. (read: B) The problem is poor mgmt or a lousy boss. U ask me to treat the root of issue? Fire them, get the next better player. Hmm..interesting debate.

Qi : no debate lah, sometimes I know it's shen1 bu4 you2 ji3, but sometimes it really does boil down to how you want to conduct your life. Just hope i'm wise enough to do the right thing whenever I'm confronted with such decisions...=)

Sam : yup.. quite a fruitless debate? It's the kind with no answers.

ZXL : true lah..there's no right or wrong..more of 'the norm'(ie. climb the corporate ladder) and the 'path less taken'(take things easy at the expense of material gains)

No comments: