Sunday 18 December 2005

why my frens call me xiao pang these days..

In the 2 or 3 weeks ever since i returned to Sg..i have yet to meet someone who did not mention about my new-found roundness(even the lady at the photo-developing shop couldn't help but comment 'ur face looks rounder hor?')

I had given all sorts of excuses..opps, i mean explanations, for my gain in weight..ranging from weather to my lapse of of 'white diet'(refer to previous previous blog)..but i came across an article in the papers today tat had me raising my (somewat chubby) arms & legs in total agreement..

Here's an extract of the 'main points'..perhaps it can explain my xiao pang status..

What's the point of going to Italy and not eating pasta?

..I often travel. When i do, i ignore my need to constantly diet and instead freely indulge in the pleasures of the table. What would the point, i ask u, of going to Italy and not eating pasta? Or turning away from a scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam in England? You may as well visit Paris without seeing Eiffel Tower..

..A traveller also needs plenty of fuel for wandering and sightseeing. But when u're on the move, it's often hard to find non-fattening foods that satisfy and sustain..

..when i suddenly realised that my jeans felt tight in the middle..I looked down and discovered, to my dismay, that i was working on a stomach(urs truly had made the same discovery towards the end of the summer..when i put on my jeans for the first time in weeks of wearing shorts)

..I loved the way a cheese sandwich and an apple can taste better than white truffles and foie gras while i'm sitting in purple clover on the Emerald Coast of Normandy, where i once took a solo walking trip..I took a seat at one of the seafood restaurants on the waterfront, all offering the same special : half a dozen oysters, bread and a glass of Muscadet. When i finished the last oyster and drained my wine glass, i sat watching the dusk steal over the wide, flat bay, resting after my efforts. Then, without thinking, i told the waiter to bring me the special again..

..That decision - taken so instinctively, at a time and place so right - was one of the best i've ever made. It is, i think, almost as hard to know how to indulge as to exercise self-discipline..

I rest my case..

No comments: