Friday 15 July 2005

I'm lost!

Monday, 11th July 2005

Literally. I got lost hiking on a trail in this village called Betws-y-coed(see wat i mean when i say the welsh language is unpronounceable)..

I arrived from Llandudno in the afternoon..checked in at my B&B..then went to this waterfall 'Swallow Falls'..wah biang..walked about 40 mins there, paid 1 pound to enter..then realised it's such a small area tat u can walk round the whole place in <5 mins..felt a bit cheated..

Anyway, i a bit buay gan wan..walked so far just to see this tiny waterfalls..so i tried to locate this trailhead about 500m away..according to the map i have, it's an 1-hr medium-grade trail..quick check at the time 4.45pm..should have enuf time lah hor..so i went ahead..

It's still ok at the beginning..cos only 1 trail..then it split..wif no clue on the map, i just anyhow humtum..see which one looks more well-trodden & more uphill..walked³..came across this farm..dun care, climbed over the gate..then realised it's private property..climbed back out again..beginning to suspect i'm a little lost..

Walked somemore..shit..5.50pm liao..i figured i'm somewhere near the top liao but dunno how to get down..according to the map, it's supposed to be a loop..but it somehow just din feel like one..

Boh bian..had to continue walking..quite glad tat the sun sets only about 9-ish, 10pm here..

Uh-oh..6.15pm..still lost..i'm almost prepared to spend the night here liao..and then, i heard a car..i flagged it down & asked for the directions down..the driver said it's quite a far way to go & then asked if i would like a lift..there were already 5 of them in the car but wat the heck..dunno how long i'll need to walk out of this place & i still needed another 45mins to walk back to my B&B..

They managed to make some space for me & I squeezed in gratefully..can u imagine 3 big ang moh guys & me in the back seat? It's a normal sedan car..so not exactly very roomy..

Found out 4 of them were from Liverpool & 1 from Manchester..heng ah, can still talk cock wif them since i stayed in Liverpool from about 2 weeks..

Anyway, they showed me the map they're using & it's those real topo map..& me, a 2 pounds map from the TIC..those machiam World Walking Day kind..just the agar-shape of the route..they must be thinking, this xiao geena thinks she can navigate using those maps..

When we reached the foot of the hill, they offered to send me back to my B&B..of cos i was very grateful..

Finally reached 'home' at about 7pm..

There u have it..my first hitch-hiking adventure..a bit scary i must admit..but oh well, thanks to my lucky stars..i survived it..

Stay tuned for more adventures coming up..

No comments: