Wednesday 27 July 2005

My Mini Achievement

Brr...it's cold today..so cold tat i got goosepimples when i sat on the toilet bowl this morning..

Had planned to blog about my trek up Snowdon & complain how hot it was the few days i was in Wales..& now? I'm wearing my xiao hong as i'm typing..english weather..@.@

K..before i blab on about the weather..yes, my trek up Snowdon..why is this trek so 'significant' for me?

I guess there're several reasons..cos it was the first 'serious' trek i had since my Nepal trip..it was the third trek/hike i had in UK(i got a bit lost on the first two..so i was a little nervous) cos it's the highest(one of the most famous) mountain in England & Wales.. & mostly, cos it was my first solo trek..

I always had the luxury of having frens/& guides wif me on trekking trips..where u know u won't die cos u took a wrong turn or if u slipped & fell..but this time, i was on my own..

Wednesday, 13 July 2005

0730 - Rise & shine..took my breakfast..4 slices of bread & 2 bowls of cereal(this is a typical breakfast for me..see how much my appetite increased?) then waited for the bus..

0904 - The frenly bus driver arrived at my stop on schedule..i like this driver! Hopped on & i'm off to 'Pen-y-pass' where i will begin my trek..

0940 - Reached the start point of the Pyg(yes, pronounced as pig) Trail..i had asked the pple in the hostel the nite before & read up my LP..this is supposed to be one of the more popular treks up..it's medium grade..takes about 5 hrs up & down..i had checked my bus timetable & had hoped to catch the 1445 bus back or the next bus would be 1745..

0945 - Off i go..it's a hot day today..but i'd rather have it hot than cold..

1045 - 1 hr later(i timed myself), i had a quick break of banana & flapjack(some ang moh snack)..so far so good..terrain not too difficult..a bit of rocks at first so there was some scrambling here & there..i missed my ACG though(i was wearing my asics)

1145 - Starting to pant a little..could see the summit liao..jia you zxl..

1230 - Ta da! Deng shan cheng gong! I did it! Self-indulge in this success for a min..heh

1231 - Take photos..arrange my 'prop'..take more photos..The summit was actually very crowded cos there's another easier way of coming up - taking the train. Every other 30 mins, a train would huff & puff its way up & unload some 50 visitors..making the top of the mountain seem like a busy sunday bazaar..

1240 - Celebration lunch - sandwich topped with some mountain dust(the wind was quite strong up there)

1250 - Decided to make my way back..scrambled down is more like it(i had a bus to catch rem?)

1400 - Reached the bottom..was quite surprised i took only about 70 mins to come down (goes to show i was really scrambling).

1445 - It was the same bus driver again..chitchatted a bit wif him on the way back..he offered to drop me off at this point along the way where i can see ospreys but i declined..had enuf 'adventure' for the day liao..besides i dun wanna wait 3 hrs for the next bus back..

1530 - Back at my hostel..took a nice shower & went down to the lounge & R&R..

1800 - We had BBQ dinner at the hostel backyard..my hostel mates 'xin xie lai chao' decided to have a BBQ..this bunch of hostel mates is the best i ever had..shall talk about them on a separate blog lah..getting too long this one..wait the website crash again..haha

Ah...BBQ under the clear blue sky..gentle breeze(for once, the weather very cooperative)..cold beer..idle chit chat..wat a perfect end to a perfect day! : )

No comments: